Succulent spaghetti with clams, an italian classic.
- 400g fresh tagliolini
- 500g clams
- Extra virgin olive oil
- 1 red chilli, finely chopped
- 1 clove garlic
- Pasta cooking water
- Place the clams in a saucepan with a glug of olive oil and 2 ladles of hot water. Put the pan on to a medium heat.
- Clams are done cooking when they just start to open. If you wait until all clams are opened they can overcook easily, resulting in something that is tough and chewy. So, remove the clams from the pan as they open. Discard any clams that don’t open.
- Put the clams to one side and pass the liquid through a sieve.
- Bring a large pot of water to a boil; salt . Add spaghetti, and cook until slightly underdone.
- Meanwhile, heat oil in a large skillet over medium heat. Add garlic and chile pepper; cook until garlic is golden.
- Add in the reserved and filtered clam stock and bring to the boil.
- Add in spaghetti with some pasta cooking water and finish to cook.
- During the last minute of cooking add clams and parsley.